Last year, we applied for and were successfully selected to participate in Creative Schools. Creative Schools is a flagship initiative of the Creative Ireland Programme to enable the creative potential of every child. Creative Schools is led by the Arts Council in partnership with the Department of Education and Skills and the Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht.
We have had a busy year participating in this initiative. In the first term, one of our teachers, Sarah Lucey received training. We were then introduced to our Creative Schools Associate- Naomi. The remainder of Term 1 consisted of gathering Information from the Students, Staff, Board of Management and Parents’ Association about what is already happening in the school. We looked at our areas of strength and identified areas that we needed to develop.
In Term 2, a ‘Creative Schools Committee’ was set up consisting of a teacher, students and parents and we got to work making plans. The Creative Schools Committee were responsible for some of the following events that took place during the course of the school year;
- 3rd – 6th Class visited the Crawford Art Gallery. They had a tour of the gallery followed by some sketching.
- Junior Infants – 2nd Class visited The Gluckman Museum. They participated in the ‘Future Forms’ workshop there and their Art work was exhibited in the Gallery itself in March. You can see more about the project at https://vimeo.com/337881215
- Pottery Workshop: All of the students in the school got the opportunity to use a Pottery wheel in a Pottery making workshop.
- Jewellery Making Workshop: All of the students designed and made their own pieces of jewellery.
- Animation Workshops: 3rd to 6th class have been taught how to create ‘ Stop Motion Animation’ clips.
- Mural: The entire school has been involved in creating a Mural in one of the corridors of the school.
- Knitting Workshops: The children from 1st – 6th Class were given a Knitting starter kit and learned basic knitting skills. The Infants made little woollen snakes.
On Wednesday June 12th, We had a great day in the school where samples of the work were displayed. There was also an Art Exhibition. 525 euro was raised from the sale of the children’s pictures. Thank you all for your support. This money will be fed back into funding Creative Activities in the coming years!