Last year, we applied for and were successfully selected to participate in Creative Schools. Creative Schools is a flagship initiative of the Creative Ireland Programme to enable the creative potential of every child. Creative Schools is led by the Arts Council in partnership with the Department of Education and Skills and the Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht.
We have had a busy year participating in this initiative. In the first term, one of our teachers, Sarah Lucey received training. We were then introduced to our Creative Schools Associate- Naomi. The remainder of Term 1 consisted of gathering Information from the Students, Staff, Board of Management and Parents’ Association about what is already happening in the school. We looked at our areas of strength and identified areas that we needed to develop.
In Term 2, a ‘Creative Schools Committee’ was set up consisting of a teacher, students and parents and we got to work making plans. The Creative Schools Committee were responsible for some of the following events that took place during the course of the school year;
- 3rd – 6th Class visited the Crawford Art Gallery. They had a tour of the gallery followed by some sketching.
- Junior Infants – 2nd Class visited The Gluckman Museum. They participated in the ‘Future Forms’ workshop there and their Art work was exhibited in the Gallery itself in March. You can see more about the project at https://vimeo.com/337881215
- Pottery Workshop: All of the students in the school got the opportunity to use a Pottery wheel in a Pottery making workshop.
- Jewellery Making Workshop: All of the students designed and made their own pieces of jewellery.
- Animation Workshops: 3rd to 6th class have been taught how to create ‘ Stop Motion Animation’ clips.
- Mural: The entire school has been involved in creating a Mural in one of the corridors of the school.
- Knitting Workshops: The children from 1st – 6th will be given a Knitting starter kit and will be given a workshop in basic knitting skills.
On Wednesday June 12th, We are going to celebrate all that we have completed this year with an Art Exhibition.
The exhibition will be in the school hall at the following times:
1.30pm – 3.30pm
6.00pm – 7.00pm
- There will be a framed exhibition of the Children’s Paintings. The framed Paintings will be available to purchase during the exhibition*
- Samples of the Children’s 3D work will be displayed on the day also.
- The mural will be unveiled.
- There will be light refreshments available to all visitors.
Everybody is welcome; parents, grandparents, siblings and friends. It will be a great opportunity for the children to share their talents with you all!
We look forward to seeing you all there!!!
*All profits made from the sales of Framed Paintings will be used to fund future Creative Endeavours